Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Double Down: More than just a sandwich, it's a way of life.

It's called the Double Down. 540 Calories. 32 grams of fat. 1380 sodium.



This all-meat sandwich from KFC may be the death of us -- or at least of American culture.

I am not one to preach about healthy eating. I think vegetarians are stupid (unless you are a vegetarian for religious purposes in which case I would find a new religion). I strongly belive that God put animals on this earth for the purpose of human consumption -- to sustain us. Going along this little rant, I also think that people who do not like bacon, do not like good food. Bacon is also God's gift to the world, for which I am eternally grateful.

With that said, this new KFC sandwhich consists of two breaded and fried chicken breast, bacon and cheese. Each component is delicious, but formed into a sandwich? This is not at all appetizing. The thought of eating one makes me gag. Now, I am not condemning KFC for making such a dish. I believe that people need to be accountable and responsible for their own health. If people are stupid enough to consume these sandwiches, not once, but two perhaps even three times in one day, who is to blame KFC for capitilizing on that stupidity. I sure am not.

You might be wondering why I would take the time to dedicate a post on the Double Down. Well, it occured to me it's not just a sandwich. It is a representation of a type of people and if you know me, you know how much I love to compartmentalize people (e.g. hipsters, Bruce's, D-bags, etc.). I know, I know, it's not fair. People are much more complex than that... but you know, some people really are that simple.

Over the weekend, one of the people I was having brunch with, Sean, asked, "Can't you just picture some jock in flipflops carrying the double down in one hand and a Bud Lite in a beer cozy in the other?" Immediately, an image of the guys I went to high school with popped into my head. I went to a school comparable to one out of Texas or Middle America (think big trucks, cowboy hats, Republicans, guns, etc.) So, the answer is, Yes Sean. I can totally picture that.

In case you didn't pick up the nuances of Sean's joke: Jocks love meat, and these jocks in particular have bad taste in food and extremely bad taste in beer. They not only have bad taste in beer, but are extremely proud to drink Bud Lite or Coors Lite even when they are in their late 20s as evident by their Facebook or MySpace pictures. Only college kids drink Bud Lite, Coors Lite and Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I will likely try the Double Down because I knocked it before trying it and I owe it to the Col. to at least take a bite out of this heart-stopping concoction.

Here's to the Double Down.

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! I had to read this out loud to my co-workers. I haven't tried the Double Down and I don't think I ever will. Just not my style. I gotta have the bread and that's just too much meat for me. I know people who have tried it and I was shocked to learn they have a grilled version. My brother tried it and said it was too messy because it all fell apart. I think it's because it was grilled. If it was the fried one it would have congealed into a solid mass of cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete