Friday, May 7, 2010

"The Cure" for a bad day (pun intended)


When you've been having a bad day -- a bad week, what do you do? What puts you in a better mood? Shopping, chocolate, cookies, libations perhaps? For me, it's a little of all that -- but the perfect combination would be a salty caramel macaron, scoring a cute dress in the clearance rack and just the right playlist to brighten my spirits.

I feel like the last couple of days have been like giant gray cloud. Statistics, among other things has made this week stressful. Unfortunately, my professor is not helpful at all and whenever I ask him a question, he makes me feel like  a 12-year-old who just did something wrong. However, surprisingly, there has been a few bright spots here and there. For instance today when the San Francisco Outside Lands Music Festival released their dates and I found out that the tickets were fairly cheap. Although, the lineup is not out yet, that was still a little bright spot.

Today, I didn't get a macaron, I got a dress I ordered but I don't like it, I drank some home brewed cider and I put together my happy playlist. These are songs that always puts me in a better mood-- whether that's making me want to dance silly, in the rain, in the sun, sing out loud or just simply put a smile on my face. They are in no particular order. Some are old and some less older than others.

1.) Pictures of You - The Cure
My favorite is the one from their live album "The Show." I love the extra long intro.

2.) Just Like Heaven - The Cure
Yes, I am a fan. I would love love love to see them live at least once in my lifetime. I've already missed the two times they were at Coachella.

3.) Redemption Song - Bob Marley
I know, it's kind of a weird choice for a happy song when he has so many peppy songs... but I love the lyrics of this song.

4.) Turn Your Lights Down Low - Bob Marley

5.) Fearless - Taylor Swift
I just can't help myself. I absolutely love her latest album. There is something about her songs that make me happy. I get that feeling similar to when you have a school girl crush. Her songs also make me feel romantic, a little less cynical, basically all the emotions you would see on a chick flick. However, I do think some of her songs perpetuate the myth that the nerdy girl is going to get the hot athlete when we all know that is not what the real world is like -- at least my world and where I went to high school and not with my luck!

6.) Country Road - James Taylor
I guess I could've picked Up on the Roof but On the Country Road is my favorite James Taylor song -- and one of my all-time favorite songs.

7.) Kiss - Prince

8.) Lisztomania - Phoenix

9.) American Girl - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
"Oh yeah... alright... take it easy baby..." This song is so much fun to sing.

10.) Every Ghetto, Every City - Lauryn Hill
This song is from one of my favorite albums of all time, basically the one album Lauryn Hill had and it was genius. Also, one of my favorite movies growing up and I watched over and over was Sister Act II.

11.) Ants Marching (Live) - Dave Matthews Band
This version is from the Live from Central Park Album. For me, whenever I hear DMB, I think of summer, outdoor concerts and music festivals -- and those things make me happy. DMB is my all time favorite band to see live. I have been to two of their shows, going on my third in August. For me, they are the epitome of live music because they are very skilled (I would even say virtuosos) at their instruments and they always play their songs at least 5 minutes longer than on the record :)

12.) Crush (Live) - Dave Matthews Band

13.) I'll Be There for You - Bon Jovi
Because I love to turn up the volume to this song in the car, and sing it out loud -- very loud.

14.) Hysteric - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

15.) High and Dry - Radiohead
I had to throw this into my happy list because this is one of my favorite Radiohead songs from my favorite Radiohead album The Bends. Radiohead rules.

There you have 15 of them. I can list a lot more but I won't. These are not the conventional "happy songs" but these are some of my all time favorite songs which means when I hear them, I am a happy camper :)








P.S. I'm going back into the kitchen soon. My dad brought me back a cookbook from his visit the Philippines and I am shocked he got the right thing.

2 comments:

  1. I will now have JBJ singing "I'll be there for you" on a loop in my head all day. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great playlist to make!! That Lauryn Hill album is one of my all time faves too. I am still waiting for her next release. Come on already!

    ReplyDelete