Wednesday, September 12, 2012

korean veganized bulgogi and pickled veggies

About two months ago I mentioned about how I wanted to try to challenge myself to eat healthy on the cheap. When I say challenge I don't mean "for fun" I mean as I really should. Anyway, I had a hankering for Korean Bulgogi which is made with beef marinated in a savory sweet sauce. Bulgogi is delicious but can also be high in calorie and greasy (by the way you can pick up a pretty good pre-marinated beef bulgogi from Trader Joe's). I was hoping to get the same flavor using portabella mushrooms instead and I am pleased to say that it turned out delicious and filling. The ingredients may seem like a lot but you probably already have all of these things in your pantry.

Portabella Bulgogi (with a side of quick pickled veggies)
Serves 1 large serving or 2 smaller servings. Double everything for larger servings.
I basically used this recipe.

I also served this dish with a side of quick pickled veggies which goes great with the bulgogi because the acidity brightens up the really savory and sweet flavor of the bulgogi.

What you need:
2 portabella caps

Marinade:
1/2 medium onion
1 sprig of green onion
1 tbs. of garlic
a little over half of 1/3 of a cup of soy sauce
1 tbs. sugar
1 tbs. toasted sesame seeds (or a little more to save to sprinkle on top at the end. You don't have to toast the sesame seeds but I find that toasted and not toasted makes a pretty big difference because toasted has more flavor. It only takes a couple of seconds to toast them on a hot dry pan. Plus I love the smell of toasted sesame seeds).
1/2 tbs. of sesame oil (optional)
red pepper flakes (I only put a pinch or two but you can put as much as you want depending on how spicy you like your food).
black pepper (a couple of dashes)
ginger (I just used a dash or two of powdered ginger)

** Do not add salt because the soy sauce is salty enough.

What to do:
Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl (or a large tupperware so you can use the lid, shake it up and make sure all of the mushrooms are covered in the marinade). The marinade smells so good. Once it's all combined, add sliced portabellas, lid and shake it (like a polaroid picture).


Untitled

You don't have to let the mushrooms marinade for a long time (I'm impatient and hungry so I waited like 2 minutes). It's not like meat that requires the marinade to so it can be tender and absorb the flavor. The beauty about mushrooms is that it absorbs flavor really well.

Pour all of the mushrooms along with the marinade onto a hot pan. Let cook until the mushrooms are cooked and the marinade becomes dark, thick and syrupy.

You can enjoy the bulgogi anyway you like. I tried it in a taco using wheat tortillas topped with the pickled veggies and in a rice bowl. Both were good however it is better to eat this with something that will absorb the marinade so rice or a type of bread would work really well. The tortilla can be a bit too messy.

Untitled Untitled

Top with more sesame seeds and green onions if you like.

Quick pickled veggies

What you need:
Shredded carrots and daikon (if you have some). I just used leftover pre-made shredded broccoli slaw mix.
rice wine vinegar (or regular vinegar)
sugar
*use equal parts vinegar and sugar. I just used enough to cover the amount of veggies I used.
pinch of salt

Combine everything and let sit at room temperature for 30 mins.

Nutrition Facts 
Bulgogi Only
for 2 small servings or 1 large serving (2 portabellas)
Cal. 257, Fat 9.51, Carbs 36.34, Protein 11.34 (cholesterol free!)




No comments:

Post a Comment