Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day 2: The Ball and Chain

Today I celebrated the nuptial of two of my very good friends, Justin and Jennifer. This is a photo of a ball and chain the groom's friends gave him as a gag wedding gift.


I have attended 3 weddings this year and I find myself asking, why do people get married? From a religious point of view, I know why people get married, but what about the people who don't have a religious background? Do they marry because of tradition? Economic? My friends had been together for a very long time (I believe about 10 years) and have been living together for a very long time. Why marry now? They seemed completely happy and content with the way things were. I guess marriage is still seen as progress -- taking the next step. The next step to what? I have no idea.

Also, I don't know who came up with the metaphor of the "old ball and chain." I bet it was some angry dude whose wife wouldn't let him play cards with his buddies, or whatever it is they did for fun back in the 19th century. (I googled the saying "the old ball and chain" to see where it originated from and according to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, the saying dates back to the 1800s.)

Anyway, cheers to the bride and groom! May they have wedded bliss and plenty of wine for when they don't ;).

Congratulations Justin and Jen.





3 comments:

  1. Angry dudes create a lot of weird sayings. I think most of it comes from sexual frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think most peeps marry because of tradition, as well as people thinking they should be married before they have kids.

    Where was this photo taken? It looks like it was in a cave.

    ReplyDelete