Tuesday, April 5, 2011

zip ties and hose clamps keep it together.

The great thing about having a bike is getting it all fixed up and I have previously blogged about some of the work I have done on my bike.

Here are some before and after photos of my Schwinn with new (more like old) accessories.


The way my bike looked when I purchased it (ignore the scary uninviting porch)


with a new seat, some fenders and a basket...


now, the bike's got a vintage Schwinn messenger seat, a headlight mounted to the fender and a back rack.


I got this seat from eBay. Schwinn no longer makes these seats so I got this one for about $40. It is surprisingly so much more comfortable than the previous seat I installed.


The back rack I got from someone for $10 at a rat bike rodeo and it wasn't meant for my bike so I didn't think I could ever make it work to fit. Thanks to a crafty friend, zip ties and hose clamps did the trick!


So I have to give credit where credit is due and that is to my friend MT. He did most of the hard work on this bike because it involved using a drill. Besides, why do the work when someone else can do it for you -- (half) kidding.

Here's a bike he built. I stole this photo from Facebook and can you believe how easy Facebook makes it for you to steal photos? I just discovered the "download" button today.



P.S. I just finished my fifth week of counting calories and exercising at least one hour per day. I don't remember what kettle chips taste like anymore. Kettle chips are my favorite, which is why I have stayed away from them. So far, the progress has been good. I have lost 9 lbs., which is the rate of about 1.8 lbs. per week. When I hit the 10 lbs mark, I'm going to shop to celebrate and maybe enjoy a small bag of kettle chips.







3 comments:

  1. Great job on the calories!

    It's a good thing you don't have kids because you're spending all your money on the bike. In my world, bike = puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the WORST luck with my bike accessories. My back tire rack didn't fit on my bike, so that is still in limbo...and my new headlight doesn't fit under my basket...so that is still limbo as well. I'm contemplating zip tying it in my basket, but I think that will look totally ghetto. We will see. Your bike looks pimp though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber the same thing happened to me with the headlight I bought so I got a different one. one that mounts onto the fender. You could totally zip tie it!! It won't be ghetto.. or use hose clamps tha might make it look more "official"

    ReplyDelete